Communications and Outreach Coordinator
20 hours per week
Purpose of the position:
This position is responsible for the creation of online and print communication, media relations, and implementation of Portland Trails’ mission, events, programs and campaigns with a continued focus on developing and building relationships between Portland Trails and its constituencies, including members, trail users and the media. The ability to effectively manage event logistics and myriad details is crucial to success in this position.
- Implement an integrated strategic communications plan that advances Portland Trails’ brand identity; broadens awareness of its programs and priorities; and increases the visibility of its programs and projects across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create external communications and visual content that promote, enhance and protect the organization’s brand and public reputation.
- Utilize Portland Trails online communication channels including website, email, social media and newsletter to promote and achieve the organizations’ mission and goals.
- Monitor and maximize Portland Trails’ presence on social media.
- Produce newsletters, and other printed materials, including writing articles, coordinating with volunteer contributors and editing materials.
- Interface with designers and printers and other communication vendors.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage traditional press (TV, radio, print) relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Portland Trails’ programs, events, projects and accomplishments.
Events & Outreach
- Develop and implement outreach programs and events for a wide constituency (to be refined through each year’s annual work plan).
- Work with committee members to plan, coordinate, and successfully execute Portland Trails’ major fundraising events.
- Handle event logistics such as invitations, venue, food, permitting, etc.
- Recruit and manage event and outreach volunteers.
- Implement marketing and promotion plans for events.
- Manage Portland Trails’ presence at community events that strategically position the organization with other events, businesses, and organizations.
- Pursue additional outreach opportunities that will meet annual and long term goals.
- Serve as active member of the Outreach and Communications Committee, Newsletter Committee and events committees.
- When appropriate, promote the sale of merchandise and products through online, print, and other advertising channels.
- Knowledge, understanding and experience with print and online communications tools
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing multiple projects at the same time
- Experienced in event planning.
- Experienced in media relations.
- Highly organized, creative and self-motivated
- Able to learn and use new technologies for communications.
- Strong attention to detail, demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with social media and web analytics and marketing tools.
- Basic to intermediate Word Press skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Fluency with social media channels
- Solid knowledge of office administrative procedures, minimum of 1 year office experience
- Solid computer skills including a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite and Word Press
- A passion for the Portland Trails mission
- Associate degree or minimum of 4 years of professional communications experience
- Available for some evening and weekend activities
- Lifting and carrying 30 lbs.
- Must be able to work in an office environment.
- Must be able to get to events throughout Greater Portland with outreach and event supplies regularly.
EOE. Portland Trails offers a friendly work environment and an opportunity to make a contribution to your community. Position is half time with paid holidays and vacation time. Pay DOE but is in the range of $16/hour. Accepting applications on a rolling bases.
Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to: Kara Wooldrik, Executive Director, info @ trails.org.
This position is responsible for all Donor Relations and Communications strategy with a focus on developing and building relationships between Portland Trails and its constituencies, especially donors and businesses. This role is relationship-based and strategic in nature, with an emphasis on increasing private support of Portland Trails, in line with our Strategic Plan.
Essential Functions: (a partial list)
Donor Relations (60%)
– Cultivate and steward potential and current private donors.
– Manage the internal systems of prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, with strong emphasis on major gifts and corporate prospect management.
– Analyze key information to assess financial capacity, philanthropic interests, giving propensity and potential linkages to Portland Trails that will inform cultivation and solicitation strategies.
– Supervise Development Coordinator and oversee the data entry and reporting of prospect management and gift information.
– Facilitate Development Committee fundraising activities related to major gifts, planned gifts and corporate philanthropy.
– Refine the strategic communications plan using all channels to advance Portland Trails’ brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs and projects across key stakeholder audiences.
– Supervise the Outreach Coordinator to ensure successful execution of the strategic Communications Plan.
– Ensure all communications are consistent, targeted to the audience and use best practices to increase the capacity of Portland Trails.
Qualifications: (a partial list)
– Demonstrated success in a professional relationship management role.
– Experience leading annual appeals and capital campaigns in a membership organization.
– Comprehensive understanding of the tools utilized in fundraising research.
– Knowledge and understanding of communications strategies. Ability to create communications strategy to match audience and desired outcomes
– A passion for the Portland Trails mission
– Exceptional interpersonal, communications (written and verbal) and organizational skills; dependability, accuracy and attention to detail are musts.
Portland Trails offers a friendly work environment and an opportunity to make a contribution to your community and is an EOE. Position is full time salaried. Pay DOE but is in the range of $50K. Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by June 1 to info [at] trails.org