Position Title: Communications and Outreach Coordinator
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
20 hours per week
Purpose of the position:
This position is responsible for the creation of online and print communication, media relations, and marketing of Portland Trails’ mission, events, programs and campaigns with a continued focus on developing and building relationships between Portland Trails and its constituencies, including members, trail users and the media. The ability to effectively manage event logistics and myriad details is crucial to success in this position.
- Implement an integrated strategic communications plan that advances Portland Trails’ brand identity; broadens awareness of its programs and priorities; and increases the visibility of its programs and projects across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create external communications and visual content that promote, enhance and protect the organization’s brand and public reputation.
- Utilize Portland Trails online communication channels including website, email, social media and newsletter to promote and achieve the organizations’ mission and goals.
- Monitor and maximize Portland Trails’ presence on social media.
- Produce newsletters, and other printed materials, including writing articles, coordinating with volunteer contributors and editing materials.
- Interface with designers and printers and other communication vendors.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage traditional press (TV, radio, print) relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Portland Trails’ programs, events, projects and accomplishments.
Events & Outreach
- Develop and implement outreach programs and events for a wide constituency (to be refined through each year’s annual work plan).
- Work with committee members to plan, coordinate, and successfully execute Portland Trails’ major fundraising events.
- Handle event logistics such as invitations, venue, food, permitting, etc.
- Recruit and manage event and outreach volunteers.
- Implement marketing and promotion plans for events.
- Manage Portland Trails’ presence at community events that strategically position the organization with other events, businesses, and organizations.
- Pursue additional outreach opportunities that will meet annual and long term goals.
- Serve as active member of the Outreach and Communications Committee, Newsletter Committee and events committees.
- When appropriate, promote the sale of merchandise and products through online, print, and other advertising channels.
- When appropriate, develop a range of Portland Trails’ promotional items that further the organization’s mission and generate additional revenue.
- Participate in monthly staff meetings.
- Stay current with membership, marketing and communications trends.
- Assist Executive Director with various projects and tasks, as assigned.
- All Portland Trails Staff and Contractors
- Portland Trails Board of Trustees
- Portland Trails Volunteers
- Members and Trail users
- Donors, Sponsors and Supporters
- The Media
- Knowledge, understanding and experience with print and online communications tools
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing multiple projects at the same time
- Experienced in event planning.
- Experienced in media relations.
- Highly organized, creative and self-motivated
- Able to learn and use new technologies for communications.
- Strong attention to detail, demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with social media and web analytics and marketing tools.
- Basic to intermediate Word Press skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Fluency with social media channels
- Solid knowledge of office administrative procedures, minimum of 1 year office experience
- Solid computer skills including a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite and Word Press
- A passion for the Portland Trails mission
- Associate degree or minimum of 4 years of professional communications experience
- Available for some evening and weekend activities
- Lifting and carrying 30 lbs.
- Must be able to work in an office environment.
- Must be able to get to events throughout Greater Portland with outreach and event supplies regularly.
EOE. Portland Trails offers a friendly work environment and an opportunity to make a contribution to your community. Position is half time with paid holidays and vacation time. Pay DOE but is in the range of $13/hour.
Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by February 14 to: Kara Wooldrik, Executive Director, INFO@TRAILS.ORG