Fundraising and Relationship Lead
Do you love hearing people’s stories? Are you thrilled by connecting someone’s passion with a purpose? Are you lit up by spending time outdoors in nature? Do you see three moves ahead in each game you play? If you said “yes” to these questions, Portland Trails might be your next work home. We are a small staff team who operates like an ecosystem. We each have our niches but we rely upon each other for information, understanding, learning, energy and timely execution. We are looking for a strategic relationship-oriented team member who believes that trails are tools for building healthier, resilient and equitable communities. If being a self-directed team player is the right fit for you and if learning and growing with colleagues and dedicated volunteers sounds like fun, please consider applying for our lead Fundraiser position.
Purpose of the position:
This position is responsible for all donor relations strategy with a focus on developing and building relationships between Portland Trails and its constituencies, especially major donors and businesses. This role is relationship-based and strategic in nature, with an emphasis on increasing private support of Portland Trails. It coordinates and facilitates development, donor stewardship, stakeholder relations, research, and messaging to increase private donations to Portland Trails.
This person will:
- - Build relationships with potential and current private individual and corporate/business donors.
- - Spend time outdoors on the trails with donors, collaborators, and potential partners.
- - Connect with a diverse group of community members who want to contribute to Portland Trails’ community impact in creative and mutually beneficial ways.
- - Manage the internal systems of prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, with strong emphasis on major gifts and corporate prospect management.
- - Analyze key information to assess financial capacity, philanthropic interests, giving propensity, and potential linkages to Portland Trails that will inform cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- - Supervise Office Administrator and oversee the data entry and reporting of prospect management and gift information.
- - Work with the Office Administrator on cultivation profiles and donor activity reports.
- - Organize and implement small cultivation events (like house parties).
- - Dream up new ways to build organizational capacity.
- - In collaboration with other team members, organize and implement small annual “thank you” events.
- - Facilitate Development Committee fundraising activities related to major gifts, planned gifts, and corporate philanthropy.
- - Work with Communications Coordinator on developing sponsorship opportunities for events.
The ideal candidate will have:
- - Demonstrated success in a professional relationship management role and outstanding customer service skills.
- - Experience with annual appeals and capital campaigns in a membership organization.
- - Comprehensive understanding of the tools utilized in fundraising research.
- - A passion for the Portland Trails mission.
- - Exceptional interpersonal, communications (written and verbal), and organizational skills; dependability, accuracy, and attention to detail are musts.
- - Demonstrated commitment to fostering diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in various spaces and experience working across differences.
- - Demonstrated success in project management; ability to coordinate, prioritize, and monitor projects to successful completion.
- - Strong time management skills required; ability to meet deadlines, multi-task, and provide effective follow-up with internal and external partners.
- - Ability to collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative data, think analytically, manage systems, and prepare reports that can be used to inform fundraising strategies.
- - Ability to be discrete in handling confidential matters and comply with privacy regulations and ethical standards.
- - Ability to work effectively as a team member, as well as independently; ability to train, inspire, and motivate staff and volunteers, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- - A thirst for learning and a playful spirit.
Portland Trails offers a friendly work environment and an opportunity to make a contribution to your community. Position is full-time. Benefits include paid time off, retirement fund contribution, and a health stipend. Salary DOE but is in the range of $60,000.
We are accepting resumes and cover letters on a rolling basis. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.