Seasonal Trail Crew member(s)
Do you enjoy working outdoors and solving unique challenges on a daily basis? Can you imagine yourself figuring out how to move a slab of granite a mile into the woods one day, and pruning a neighborhood trail with elder volunteers the next? Portland Trails is hiring one or two Seasonal Trail Crew members to conduct trail construction, trail maintenance, habitat enhancement, and other physical work throughout the trail network. For years, we worked to reduce physical barriers to trail access. Now that we have a trail within a half mile of every Portland residence, we are focused on the less visible but very real barriers to all people enjoying local trails and natural spaces. We are willing to hire a single full-time individual, or two part-time staff, depending on the finalist’s needs.
This person will:
- - Support and enhance the functionality, ecological integrity, and appearance of the Portland Trails network.
- - Safely use, maintain, and repair equipment and tools.
- - Support safe and rewarding volunteer engagement experiences for local corporate and community groups that bring the participants closer to the land, to each other, and to Portland Trails.
- - Create a safe, welcoming, and enjoyable experience for all trail users as a representative of Portland Trails (including following COVID-19 practices).
The ideal candidate will have:
- - A passion for the Portland Trails mission
- - Strong attention to detail, demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness
- - An ability to do hard physical work and learn the specific methods used by Portland Trails
- - Excellent interpersonal skills
- - Trail-building, carpentry, and/or landscaping experience
- - Experience with hand tools and machines, including: mowers/trimmers, carpentry tools, digging and landscaping tools, and machine repair/maintenance
- - Familiarity with (or proven desire to learn about) southern Maine ecosystems
- - Demonstrated understanding/practice of working safely in a physically demanding field job
Physical requirements: (e.g., lifting, reaching, climb, push/pull, etc.)
- - Must be able to lift, carry, pull, and push 100 lbs.
- - Must be able to work outdoors in all weather for 8 hours at a time.
- - Depending on current CDC guidelines, may be required to wear a face mask while working.
- - Must have ability to get to various job sites throughout the Portland area (transportation is not provided).
- - Must be available for occasional evening and weekend activities.
Portland Trails offers a friendly work environment and an opportunity to make a contribution to your community. Position is full-time for one person or part-time for two. Pay DOE but is in the range of $15/hour.
We are accepting resumes and cover letters on a rolling basis until June 1. Send to Jaime Parker, Active Transportation Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Portland Trails is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are inclusive, collaborative, and solution-oriented. Portland Trails runs on the hard work and dedication of passionate and creative employees. We are always learning, growing, and evolving. Integrity is our guide and every day we each strive to be reliable, accountable, generous, and non-judgemental.